Big change in 2017, the route is upside down compared to 2016. So, trailers will start from Atomium with by the Green Pathway around Brussels before entering the Forêt de Soignes for the last 40km.
As the name implies, this competition is designed for threesome teams, allowing each teammate to take turns at resting from running. Hence, each team is equipped with two mountain-bikes. Contrary to most competitions of this type, here all teammates must stay together at all times. That explains why the runner has to wear an armband that he exchanges for the bike everytime there's a change of role.
- Distance: 81 km
- Ascent: 1150m D+
- Departure: Atomium Square at 10:00 pm
- Finish: up the rooftop of "hippodrôme de Boitsfort" at 21:45 pm latest (51-53 Chaussée de La Hulpe - en face du numéro 114 - 1180 Brussels)
- Water/Refreshment stations: every 20k
- Bib number pick-up at Trakks : from 6/9 till 8/9 (Chaussée de Waterloo 1165, 1180 Brussels-Uccle)
- Open buffet free of charge to all participants
- Showers and cloakroom at finish
- Participants will receive a single fare STIB ticket with their bib number to get to point of departure by public transportation.
- Participants can drop their personal belongings at start. All will be consigned at point of departure and will be made available to finishers upon arrival at the Atomium.
Timing to be respected at the exit of water stations
- Water station 1 : tbd
- Water station 2 : tbd
- Water station 3 : tbd
- Water station 4 : tbd
- FINISH : 21:45 (km 81 at "hippodrôme de Boitsfort")
A few lessons learned from the three previous editions:
- Putting the slowest runner on the bike uphill is not a good idea as this would not allow him to recup from his running.
- It’s impossible to hold the course of a 80km RBB if you switch from running to the bike every 30 to 40 seconds (as is usual on shorter distances)
- Your stance at the bike or on foot varies in duration depending on a number of factors including individual stamina and your progression in the race. Generally, and certainly at the beginning of the race, 5 minutes is fairly reasonable before switching.
- Reminder: unless your team experiences technical problems, all three members must remain together at all times. There can only be one runner at any given time during the race. In other words, upon leaving the bike, the competitor next on line to run cannot resume the race unless he has received the armband from his teammate and must wait to do so that the latter has started biking.